Thursday, December 8, 2011

The "Coming" Of Christmas |


I read a friend's blog post today and she mentioned advent candles. I didn't grow up lighting candles at home in commemoration of advent but we did of course have the classic chocolate calendars that my mom would get for us each year. My brother loved to yell down the hall each morning telling me what the image on the chocolate was of to spoil the surprise for me, I always loved to guess what the image on the chocolate would be first and then open the little door to reveal the chocolate waiting inside!

But today when I looked up 'Advent' I found that the word itself is from the Latin 'adventus' meaning "Coming". It reminded me of how important it is to celebrate the "coming" of Christ at Christmas, not only that he came to earth as a baby (the reason we celebrate Christmas) but that he is coming again which is definitely something to celebrate!

Instead of the classic 'advent wreath', or an advent calendar, I had the idea of placing 12 mini candles down the runner of the table and hanging a nativity ornament or tag on each candle (perhaps in the order of the Christmas Story) and then each night at dinner you could light one candle and read a portion of the Christmas Story (Separating the story into 12 different sections). That way on Christmas eve the last candle would be lit and the Christmas story completed. You could use traditional advent candle colours or something that compliments your dinning room. Then you could make the last candle purple (the colour of royalty to symbolize Jesus as King) or white perhaps - setting the last candle apart from the rest.

Since my table is already decorated this year I might do this next year - but I mocked up what it might look like (below) and also shared some images of nativity ornaments/tags that you could hang on each candle.

I can image how beautiful the table would be fully lit with candles and can image the excitement and anticipation that would come as each candle was lit and as the table slowly began to get brighter approaching Christmas. It would be a great family tradition and it would be a meaningful way to tie in the Christmas story at each meal leading up to Christmas as well - Counting down not to "Present Day" but to CHRISTmas Day!




1 comment:

  1. Great idea Kendel! :) Look up this lady's advent candle holder thingy...her son made it..so cool..
    http://adventtolenttoascensionwreath.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

The Before & Afters of our Home


Home Improvements Slide Show

Click on the slideshow to open up a 'Gallery' mode where you can scroll through the images.

"Befores" - Images of our home when we bought it

In Front Of Our New Home!

In Front Of Our New Home!

Wish List For Our Home:

Wish List For Our Home:

Our New Home Songs |